The main objective of any website owner is to create a website according to the needs of its users. This is what on-page SEO is all about. Moreover, according to SEO consultants, on-page SEO is the most important factor if you are looking forward to ranking your website on search engines.
Before getting into some tips and tactics for improving your website’s on-page SEO, it is important to understand what is on-page SEO and what are the features of on-page SEO.
What Is On-Page SEO
Basically, all the changes that have been made or are to be done on your website after you have purchased the domain can be categorized into on-page changes.
All the texts, images, content, jquery, styles, and everything else that can be observed on your website or can be seen by the user, fall under the on-page changes of your website.
Improving all these features, the content of your website, and the web design in order to meet the demands of search engines, along with taking care of the user interface, is known as on-page SEO.
Let’s get into some fine techniques that can improve the on-page SEO of your website.
1. Intent analyzation
Most importantly, you need to analyze the purpose of the visitor to your website. It is essential to categorize the visitors based on their intentions.
But, we need to understand why it is important to categorize visitors based on their intention.
Basically, if you are able to comprehend the intent of your visitors and divide them on its basis, it will help you search for the keywords as per the intent of your visitors, considering your website’s objective. Let’s have a look at an example to understand different visitor intentions within the same niche.
So, if you want to target users, who are looking for some sort of service or product on your website, you will have to focus on a specific keyword. Furthermore, if you have a plastic surgery website and thinking about how to do plastic surgery SEO, you can also hire some experts to implement it to your site.
2. Keyword research
Researching suitable keywords which can help you rank on search engines under targeted queries is an essential on-page SEO tactic. In order to find suitable keywords, you can analyze your competitors.
More importantly, look for long-tail keywords like Jessica Jones leather jacket as they can perform better when it comes to conversion and ranking. However, the total monthly searches of long-tail keywords are low, but it provides you with an opportunity to rank faster as the competition is less.
You can use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, or SEMRush to look for long-tail keywords within your niche. Go with keywords having higher search, low competition, or less keyword difficulty, so it will be less challenging for you to rank them in SERPs.
3. Structural planning
You need to plan a proper URL structure for your website. Choose the correct categories, top menus, sub-categories, pages, etc. For each page, decide on a suitable URL. Make sure to use short URLs and enrich your URLs naturally with the respective targeted keyword of the particular page.
Make sure that you are targeting different keywords for different pages. These keywords should never conflict with each other. If it happens, the pages will overlap with each other and search engines will find it difficult to rank the correct page on the particular keyword. It is known as keyword cannibalization, and you should avoid it.
Once all the pages have been planned or created, you should interlink them with each other through suitable keywords for internal linking. Use the focus keyword of the first page on some other page to interlink it naturally.
4. Leveraging LSI keywords
Using only the focus keyword within the content may not work properly. You will need to add some relevant keywords as well.
For instance, if you are targeting a keyword, research proposal writing services, you will need to add some keywords like research proposal, research proposal service, writing services, etc. as well.
You can easily find LSI keywords with the help of keyword tools like Google Keywords Planner, Ahrefs, SEMRush, etc. Furthermore, you can search for LSI keywords with the help of Google search as well. Just type your focused keyword in the search bar and look for the suggestions.
In the content of 1000 words, try to add seven to ten LSI keywords at least once or twice. You may add two or three LSI keywords in the subheadings as well.
5. Content optimization
Once you have researched the relevant LSI keywords along with the focused keyword, go on to create the content. You need to be very careful while writing the content and check for the following SEO characteristics in your content.
- Your content is in accordance with the main heading. You are providing valuable insights to the readers. Simply, we need to put high-quality content on the site as bots can now evaluate if the content is valuable and they rank it accordingly.
- Make sure to use headings and subheadings in the content. Mark the main heading with H1 and subheadings with H2, H3, and H4, respectively.
- You should have a clear format of the content with a proper introduction, middle body and the conclusion.
- According to experts, long-form content can work better when it comes to SEO. However, make sure not to put in irrelevant information just to elongate the content.
- The density of the keywords used in the content is essential. Make sure to use your focused keyword around 1 to 1.5 percent in your content. For instance, in a 1000 word-content, your focused keyword should be around 10 to 14 times.
- Further, use LSI keywords as well and do not forget to include your focus keyword and LSI keywords in the subheaders as well.
- In order to avoid content duplication from the one-another page on your website, you should use canonical tags.
6. Page optimization
On-page SEO is not just about creating content and putting some keywords into it. You need to optimize the whole web page for search engines in order to rank higher in the SERPs.
- Create attractive meta titles for each of your web pages. The total number of characters of a good meta title should be around 50 to 55 characters. Include a number in the meta title to make it more engaging.
- Similarly, add a meta description regarding your content. It should be from 140 to 150 characters. Use 2, 3 sentences and tell what your content is about and include a CTA which can invite the user to click your link in the SERPs.
- Make sure to add some images or other multimedia to your content and provide them with a suitable alt tag defining the media.
- Interlink your current web page with other pages on your website with suitable internal linking keywords.
- Add some high-quality external links as well with tag rel=nofollow.
You can use Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress, where you can easily provide meta titles, descriptions, and image alt tags to your web pages.
7. Mobile-first designing
Google values web pages that are perfectly optimized for mobile phones. According to the stats by Dissertation Assistance, mobile phone traffic has been increasing significantly for the past decade and will go on to increase in the future as well. This is the reason Google focuses more on whether your website is mobile phone friendly or not.
More importantly, Google is demanding mobile-first design. Create your website in accordance with the mobile phone user and then optimize it for desktop.
It is a great SEO feature which helps your website rank and stand tall among the competitors.
8. Optimizing loading speed
Now, you have researched good keywords, used LSI keywords, optimized the content for these keywords, optimized the page for titles, descriptions, images, etc. But if you have not optimized your website for speed, Google will devalue your website. Low-speed results in bounce rate and search engine value website and web pages that perform better.
You should use lazy loading, low-size scripts, proper coding and compressed images in order to increase the loading speed of your webpage. Furthermore, you can check it on Google Page Speed Insights to analyze the performance and get suggestions for the betterment.
9. Schema markups and rich snippets for better CTR
You must have seen some web results appear differently on the SERPs, showing more information about the website. It is a result of schema markup, and it is also a part of your On-Page SEO.
With the help of your developer, you can also create schema markups to rank better in the search results, and it will also increase your click-through rate. Rich snippets can also be used to show some details about your webpage.
While Summing Up…
On-Page SEO is essential when it comes to creating a website and if you are willing to rank it on search engines.
Perform keyword research and select long-tail keywords according to your goals and objectives and the intent of the visitor. Utilize LSI keywords, images and other media as we have discussed in the post.
In order to stand tall and rank your website, make sure to create a mobile-first design and work on its performance by increasing website speed.
With all these tactics in mind, you will be able to optimize your webpage for On-Page SEO and rank it on the search engines.
Claudia Jeffrey is currently working as a Senior Editor At Crowd Writer. She is associated with the team providing HND assignment help to various students around the globe. Claudia has previously worked as an On-Page SEO specialist at the same firm. She often shares her knowledge with her readers at WordCountJet.